Tuesday 11 November 2014

Apartment Design: 606 sq ft studio

Well, as promised, I spent my Saturday night snuggled on the couch with my dog, a cup of tea, and my laptop, googling to my heart's content to find a few apartments to tour when we visit Portland in December. 

Back before I applied for my new job, I had posted on how I was planning on moving to a new apartment in Salt Lake City and outlined how I'd decorate the apartment we'd selected. Although we obviously won't be moving there anymore, I had fun imaging how I'd do up the place and got some feedback from readers that it helped them reimagine possibilities in their own apartments. So I thought I'd do the same thing for a couple apartments we're looking at in Portland.

First up, a 606 sqft studio:



Quick tour:
  • The door opens into a small open area, which is sized to fit a desk or storage piece (the area with a yellow pointer on it on the bottom left of the floor plan).
  • Through the entryway on the left is a big storage unit (top left yellow pointer). 
  • The kitchen is pretty basic and we'd likely add a rolling prep cart for more prep area.
  • The little pop-out nook is floor-to-ceiling windows, just the right size for a table and two chairs. 
  • Then we have the small living area, just right for a sofa, media stand, ottoman, and maaaaaybe a chair. 
  • The 'studio' isn't a true studio because the bedroom area has walls, albeit 3/4-high ones. The bedroom will fit a bed, two side tables, and has a closet but won't fit much else.
  • The bathroom contains a full-size washer/dryer and a nice-sized vanity.


Here are some ideas I'd utilize in the space: 

Entryway: 

I'd add this sleek shoe cabinet from Ikea to the little desk nook in the entryway and top it off with a mirror and rug. Boom. Done. 

Dining Area: 


I've had this idea in my head for a while to do a dining area with director's chairs, a pedestal table, and a storage bench with lots of pillows. And then Jana Bek made it happen so I have this beautiful shot to share with you! :)


...except I want to get faux leather (or patterned fabric) seats and backs made for the director's chairs

Living Area: 


My boyfriend would like a desk area, so we would set up a desk as a console table behind the sofa with two wood stools underneath and a pair of lamps. 


I think a long low bookshelf would be nice on the wall with the TV. Because the apartment has so much storage, I could fill the shelves with books and pretty things :)


And over the shelving, maybe a gallery wall to help camouflage the TV

Bedroom:

I'm shooting for this vibe, except without all the white (black dog doesn't mix with white linens....wha whaaa).


And this is how I'd put it together:

606 sq ft studio setup


How would you use this space?

No comments:

Post a Comment